“Self-care” sounds like a bit of a wank, but it’s the term these days for doing things that help you feel less stressed, more Zen.
Here are some ideas that are not all about spa treatments or makeup.
- Tidy a space – a table, a drawer, a cupboard.
- Discuss an insight from your day with a loved one, without gossiping.
- Watch a TED talk or YouTube instructional video about something you wondered about recently.
- Go outside for a walk or a bike ride.
- Enjoy your time on social media without feeling guilty or rushed. Use it as downtime and as a treat.
- When scrolling on Facebook and you see something or someone that always annoys you, let it go and unfollow them.
- Edit a photo, draw a picture, write about your thoughts.
- Breathe in for 3 seconds, hold for 2, then out for 3 seconds, hold for 2. Do this 10 times.
- Try a new recipe.
- Say no to something without feeling guilty.
- Go to bed on time.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Go for a walk at lunch instead of sitting or shopping.
- Put some money in your retirement fund, even if it’s only a small amount.