New Year’s Resolutions are for people who aren’t already awesome.
In 2018 I made goals that continued my “relentless forward progress” which started when I was 48 in early 2015.
My 2018 fitness goal: To run a 50 km run. Any other running achievements will be cherries on top.
Done! Ran 50 km on June 10, 2018!
My 2018 learning goal: To complete iPhone Photo Academy, a photography course I’ve started recently. This will help me with my recent achievement of being accepted to sell my photography at a local gallery.
Done! Sold photos, digital drawings, and cards. Plus I did 5 other courses (below).
My 2018 personal goal: To stay as happy as I am.
Done, and happier – I seem to have quit alcohol and gone 11 months alcohol-free. So much more productive and creative!
Do more cartwheels.
Lots done! And lots of handstands, which I’d wanted to improve since I was a teenager!
In addition to these goals I also did the following things in 2018 that made me happy:
- Helped found our town’s Running Club.
- 5 minutes handstands/stretching/balance/core daily since June.
- 5 minutes learning Greek every day. 103 days so far.
- Drawing every day since late September.
- Created a blog and have published 26 posts about health, running, decluttering, quitting addictions, weight loss, and transformation.
- Continued to love my job.
In 2018 I did the following FutureLearn courses:
- The Science of Endurance Training and Performance (University of Kent) 6 week course.
- The Science of Nutrition (The Open University) 4 week course.
- Brain and Behaviour: Regulating Body Weight (Purdue University) 3 week course.
- The Musculoskeletal System: The Science of Staying Active into Old Age (University of Sheffield) 3 week course.
- Digital Skills: Social Media (Accenture) 2 hours.
2018 Running Events:
- 10/06/2018 50.1 km 6:04:21 (Ran this on my own at home, but it was my feature run for 2018.)
- 26/08/2018 35.0 km run The Bloody Long Walk 3:59:41
- 16/09/2018 21.2 km Connor’s Run and a Bit 2:22:28
- 14/10/2018 43.2 km Melbourne Marathon 5:28:36
- 04/11/2018 21.1 km Portland 3 Bays Half Marathon (HM) 2:09:45
- 11/11/2018 21.1 km Hamilton Fun Run HM 2:12:06
- 25/11/2018 21.1 km Run with the Wind HM 2:35:38
- 02/12/2018 21.1 km Carman’s Women’s HM 2:08:08
I ran 2,118.7 km in 2018.
I did 7,041,449 steps – a total of 6,237 km – averaging 19,291.6 steps a day.
In 2019, after 4 years of relentless forward progress, I want to consolidate and maintain what’s made me thrive in 2018, and enjoy the Zen.
Things that will make me happy in 2019:
- A marathon in a major city interstate.
- 48 km on my 48th month running anniversary in September.
- Run 2019 km in 2019.
- Average 18,000 steps daily, unless I keep swimming more regularly as I did in December.
- 12 months alcohol free – Feb 1 2019 anniversary.
- Keep maintaining my goal weight range for another year (It will be 3 years in April 2019.)
- 5 minutes handstands/stretching/balance/core daily.
- 5 minutes learning Greek on Duolingo every day.
- Draw every day.
- 2 blog posts every month.
- Paint the kitchen.
- Invite someone new to parkrun & walk/run with them.
These will mean I get outdoors, travel, keep running, keep strong, be creative, and keep my flexibility, strength, and balance, and stay happy.